06 September 2011

Oh the places you'll go...

and the showers you'll throw!

For me baby & wedding showers are usually tossed into the same category as Mary Kay & Pampered Chef parties; that category being “Things I Avoid If At All Possible”. I would much rather hang out and watch a game with my hubby then ooh and aah over shiny things and baby blankets. But anyone who came to my sisters recent Baby Shower never would have believed that for a second.

Not including weeks of idea swapping, tossing, renewing, crumpling, uncrumpling and finally, deciding, my Mom, Little Sister and I spent about 15 hours (9 in a row... from 6pm to 3am) rearranging furniture and decorating for this Baby Extravaganza. It’s wasn’t a shower... it was a Deluge! And it was worth every minute.

We enlisted the help of old faithful - The World Wide Web - in our quest to find the perfect decorations for a Dr. Seuss themed shower. We made out like bandits! In our preparation for the big day, we shopped at Michaels , Joann’s and The Dollar Tree. It was exhausting and a bit of strain on the brain. I think I cracked a little at Dollar Tree...


In the end, we came home with bags and bags of all manner of bright and Suessy things.

The following Friday, the real fun began...

.

To make our “One of Three Cheese Trees”, I cut a tree shape from poster board and my lil’ sister painted it green. Then we trimmed the edges with bright green pipe cleaners... careful! Hot glue is hot!


The diaper cake was a blast to make! Whoa! That was Suessy! Anyway, LeiLani (or Mom... it was late and I can’t remember) had the nifty idea to wrap the pipe cleaners around a pencil to make them twisty. Then we proceeded to shove all manner of baby items around the cake.

To spice up the table clothes we found shiny tissue paper and used generous amounts double-sided tape to make sure the window unit didn’t blow anything away.


Just some final touches to the cheese tree... we hot glued puffy blue balls to the tips to make it look a little more festive; and to protect our fingers from the metal pip cleaner tips. We hung Chinese lanterns, balloons, and little paper Hats from the ceiling. We stuck Dr. Seuss characters all over the house, made Truffula trees and even had Thing 1 and Thing 2 running through the front yard ( I failed, much to my dismay, to take a picture of that** ). From the driveway to the bathroom, we went Suessical! And most importantly, it was a hit with our Mommy-to-Be!


Thing 2 & Thing 3 (Technically I'm Thing 1 because I'm the eldest)

**A word of advice: If you're planning something like this and want to document it, DO NOT rely on yourself to take all the pictures. I was too caught up in the hosting and forgot to take half the pictures I wanted.

***I forgot to mention (thank you, Bethany for reminding me) to really get people oohing and aahing, we hung pictures of Courtney when she was a baby. The guests just loved it! We joked about what the Lil' Momma would say when she saw them and I think it was my Mom that guessed it right: "I was such a cute baby!"

Happy Eating and Showering! =P

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!
    To help your memory a bit...
    It was LeiLani who came up with the 'twist the pipe cleaners around pencils' idea. And, yes, hot glue IS hot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute..you all did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! It was a lot of fun to plot and plan and even more fun to execute. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and what a colorful "deluge" it was!! I grinned the whole way through your story and pictures, Veronica! My favorite detail is the green eggs (no ham) sign. Totally hilarious! And I would love a Truffala fruit, please...

    Too much fun!

    "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living."
    — Dr. Seuss

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a huge compliment coming from you, Meg! One day I plan to attend one of your themed parties. Yes, I would drive 7 hours for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, you're too nice, Veronica!! And we just may have to throw a little shindig sometime!

    Hmm...(wheels turning)

    ReplyDelete